Turn terra cotta pots into cheerful snowmen with Patio Paints.
Click for bigger picture
DecoArt Products Required
DCP04 - Pine Green
DCP07 - Geranium Red
DCP14 - Cloud White
DCP21 - Wrought Iron Black
DCP26 - Tango Blue
DCP28 - Fiesta Yellow
Brushes by Loew-Cornell or Royal Brush Co - 1" Flat or Sponge Brush, #10 Flat, #1 Liner|
Supplies - thick craft glue, glue gun, glue sticks, tracing and transfer paper, water container, paper towels, palette paper or plastic plate
For Dad Snowman - 3 ea 1" Buttons, Heart Button, 2-1/2" Wood Ball, Mini Plastic Carrot, 36" Piece Plaid Fabric or Old Scarf, Grapevine or Tree Branches (For Arms), 30" Decorative Broom, Jute Twine
For Junior Snowman - 3/4" Wood Plug, 26-Gauge Craft Wire, Red Yarn
For Dad Snowman: 4 ea 8" Terra Cotta Pots, 6" Terra Cotta Pot, 8" Round-base Terra Cotta Pot, 8" Terra Cotta Saucer
For Junior Snowman: 5 ea 4" Terra Cotta Pots, 2 ea 4" Saucers
Patio Paint is a versatile, durable, product designed for outdoor decorating. No sealing or varnishing is required - its waterproof. Perfect for any hard surface, such as wood, plaster, concrete, terra cotta, and more. Patio Paint is non-toxic and easy to use.
1. Paint entire saucer and all pots except round base pot and 2 of the 4" pots Cloud White using 1" flat or sponge brush. Paint round-base pot with Geranium Red and wood ball with mixture of Tango Blue and Cloud White. Let dry.
2. Use thick craft glue to put white pots and saucers together (refer to photo). Let dry several hours or overnight.
3. Transfer patterns. Use Wrought Iron Black to paint face using #10 flat brush. Outline with liner brush. Highlight eyes and mouths with Cloud White. Mix small amount Geranium Red and Cloud White and lightly scrub on cheeks.
4. Use liner to paint Fiesta Yellow and Cloud White lines on hearts. Use handle tip to place Geranium Red dots. Use liner to outline hearts and make "stitches" with black.
5. Use #10 flat brush to paint patches Geranium Red, Pine Green and Fiesta Yellow. Paint Fiesta Yellow polka dots on red patch and Geranium Red and Fiesta Yellow stripes on Pine Green patch. Use liner to do lines on Junior's sweater, outline patches and make "stitches" with black.
6. Use #10 flat brush to float black lines around rim of Geranium Red pot to make knit cap for Dad. Glue wood ball to top of cap. Set aside to dry.
7. Use mix of Fiesta Yellow and Geranium Red to paint wooden plug for Junior's nose.
8. Cut off large end of carrot evenly. Use glue gun to attach carrot nose to Dad's face, buttons on front and center of jute pieces to "shoulders." Tie twigs with jute. Glue plug nose on Junior.
9. Wrap yarn around 3" piece of cardboard about 40 times. Slip off, tie in center and cut looped ends with scissors to make earmuffs.
10. Tie scarf around neck covering jute and arrange broom. Attach Dad's hat and Junior's earmuffs with glue.
The artist can be contacted for further information at:
Stanford, KY 40484