Project inspiration from around the world, educational videos, and product announcements.
Featured Media Products
Artist Spotlightmeet the Mixed Media
by: Mark Gould
March 8, 2016
Welcome to day two of the DecoArt Media & Stampendous! week-long blog hop! Today Design Team Member Mark Gould has an awesome sideshow-inspired sign tutorial for you using Andy Skinner's NEW Stampendous! Stamps and the DecoArt Media line of products.
Don't forget, there are prizes involved! Leave a comment on each post this week to be entered. More details below. Now, on to Mark's project.
Morning and thanks for stopping by, Mark here and today as part of the Decoart / Stampendous blog hop I have created a vintage -inspired carnival sign using Andy Skinner's new Stampendous Stamps and the Decoart Media line.
Looking at Andy's latest stamp release they just screamed vintage / distressed with a healthy dose of the great American sideshow thrown in.
With an idea in mind I popped into my local craft shop That's Crafty and got them to laser cut me some mdf shapes ready for my project.
My MDF pieces were base coated with DecoArt Media Tinting Base and after looking at some vintage circus posters I decided to go for a star burst style pattern.
Just mark the center line and pick a point along it where you would like the star burst pattern to start.
I started mine so it would start behind the focal point of the piece.
I marked off points around the edge of the backboard every inch and using a straight edge joined them up passing through my centre point.
The burst pattern has been painted using DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in Pyrrole Red and Diarylide Yellow. Both are rich warm colours and are a classic sideshow colour scheme.
I used a straight edge to paint my lines for the red but didn't worry to much with the odd smudge as it adds to the hand painted vintage sign feel, the yellow was just painted to fill the gaps again not worrying if there is a little overlap.
Using the scratch mark stamp from Andy's Toxic set the distressed detail was added.
The scratches were stamped using Media Fluid Acrylics. When stamping with paint it's a good idea to spread the paint out as thin as you can on a craft sheet and work quickly. If the paint is too thick on the craft sheet the detail can be lost and the images look blobby once stamped.
To add an aged look to the backboard I used washes of Carbon Black and Quinacridone Gold.
Instead of coating the whole board in an even wash I used a mop brush as they pick up and hold a lot of water and gently flicked my wash across the board.
I always have a spritzing bottle of water and some kitchen towel at hand when working with washes.
The spritzing bottle allows you to dilute the wash once it's on the piece in case it's looking a little too dark. The kitchen towel allows you to soak up some of the excess water if the wash gets away from you.
Allow each wash to dry before adding other colours so they don't muddy up. A heat gun can be used here to speed up the process.
My accent pieces have been given a couple of coats of the Tinting Base and then to give a crisp white finish a coat of Titanium White was added.
Using Andy's cracked paint stamp from the Toxic set, I stamped my pieces using some archival ink.
One of the things I love about the Stampendous stamps is they have the design printed on the cling foam so you can easily line the images up. On the square I have stamped the crackle in different directions so it keeps the design looking random,
It's important to stamp the edges of the pieces with the crackle stamp as well, otherwise things can start to look a little weird when the details don't match up.
The all seeing eye image from the Curiosity set was stamped over the crackle and to add some more depth and distress the edges were painted with a fine detail brush and some Raw Umber.
This adds to the effect of a chipped and rusty piece of signage.
I cut a piece of grey board to size and gave it the same treatment as above after painting the arrow.
Using wood glue I attached all my pieces to the backboard.
The main board was given a coat of Media Satin Varnish as I wanted the soft sheen it gives and it really helps make the colours and details pop.
The chipped paint pieces were given a coat of Media Ultra Matte varnish. Some of the pigments have a natural glossy sheen to them so using the different varnishes helps give a uniform finish to a piece and the Ultra Matte completely removes any sheen at all.
Here is the finished sign with all the pieces in place.
I have used an old circus font and stamped Zoltan the Great. The word 'the' was hand drawn.
Thanks for hopping over to the DecoArt Blog. Leave a comment for a chance to win an awesome prize pack from DecoArt Media and Stampendous! Three winners will be selected at the conclusion of the weeklong hop through a random number generator.
Be sure to visit Spesh Ink for more projects and to learn more about Mark Gould.